Sometimes my zany ideas actually work.
Remember the new ball winder? Remember that it's only drawback was size? It wouldn't fit the larger skeins of yarn I have. So, I improvised.
I used a toilet paper tube, held tightly in place by squeezing a hot glue stick between it and the....um....stick thingy. O.K., I'm not up on terminology yet. Next time I'll know it's name, I promise. I used a clothes pin to manipulate the height of the incoming yarn. I tried a wire contraption held on by the clothes pin at first but it wasn't strong enough so I just ended up using the clothes pin.
I wound at the top of the tube first, scooted the ball up a bit then moved the yarn to the original yarn guide (after securing it to the glue stick) and wound at the bottom. Both balls are connected so I'll just pull from the outside of one ball then the inside of the other.....or vice-versa of course. I'll use the balls straight from the tube (I have plenty).
I feel ever so clever. And if nothing else, it has kept me entertained this evening.
I have no idea if it'll work with paper towel rolls. It would take some serious yarn-guide manipulation. If I try it, I'll let you know.